I have been extremely productive, not particularly in the area of blogging, but it is surprising how much sewing you can get done when you dedicate every spare moment to it.
I finished my wedding dress in April, bar the hem as I am waiting for my shoes to arrive. I won’t be sharing any pics until after the big day on the 27th July. I moved on to the mother of the bride and maid of honour (sister's) dresses, which I will complete after final fittings this weekend. I haven’t made many dresses for other people and I am really excited to see my mum and sister try them on- I just hope they fit and they love them. The enjoyable thing about making dresses for other people is talking through all the different styles and fabric choices. I could talk about fabric and sewing all day long, so it is nice to have someone listening for once!
My Mum’s dress is Vogue pattern V1108 which I have made in a colour similar to that on the pattern envelope except it is shot with a red thread running across the crosswise grain which gives the green a slightly autumnal feel. I will review the pattern in full in a separate post when the dress is complete.
We started from scratch with my sister’s dress. We played with the idea of a either a trapeze dress or a 50s style dress and the 50s style won out in the end. After a good few pinterest sessions and google searches, we came up with the following design.
We spent a good 4 hours wandering between the fabric shops in Soho and settled on a mint green/turquoise dupion from the Silk Society on Berwick street. The skirt is underlined in silk organza and the bodice is boned to support the off the shoulder design and help nip in the waist. Again I will do a full post after the wedding.
In other news, I am making 70 meters of bunting! I'm about 15 meters in so far.